Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Full Sail Brewing Company - Full Sail Amber


I've been a little slow about trying all of the beers at Trader Joes. I think this has happened for a few reasons. One reason is that I've been busy trying a lot of other beers that I'm really excited about. But I think the bigger reason has been that it's been rare that I've found really good beer at Trader Joes (with the exception of the few Unibroue's that wander into our store periodically). Still, I felt it was my duty to know more about our selection so I picked up one I hadn't tried, Full Sail Amber.

The beer pours a dark amber color with a thin, sudsy white head. The smells coming off of this beer were pretty faint, but I could pick out a little caramel malt and some lemon.

As far as taste goes, this beer may be the perfect microcosm of Trader Joes beer selection- good but not great; tasty but not memorable. The taste starts with some strong malts and then fades into a gentle floral hop finish. There's a bit of caramel sweetness at the start and a bit of citrus on the finish, but I couldn't help but want more from this beer. There's nothing particularly "wrong" with this beer. It's well balanced and it has some good elements. But as far as standing out from any other amber out there, it just doesn't cut it.

Final Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment