Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tröegs Brewing Company - Tröegs Nugget Nectar


One of the beers that I was most excited about getting to try while I was in Cincinnati was Tröegs Nugget Nectar. I had heard a ton about this beer and the reviews of it made it look pretty fantastic. The first day in Cincinnati, I managed to pick two bottles up and brought them back home to try. The beer is labeled an "Imperial Amber," which I had never seen before. Basically, all that "Imperial" means is that the beer is higher in alcohol than the average representation of the style. I don't know what the cut-off for an amber is, but usually an IPA is labeled "Imperial" if it's above 8% ABV. Nugget Nectar is by no means a huge beer, but at 7.5%, it can sneak up on you.

The beer pours a beautiful, dark amber color with barely any head. The smell is full and intense. Lots of pine hops jump out right away along with some caramel, mango, and peach. As far as I can remember, this is the first beer that I've ever smelled peach in.

Taste-wise, this one definitely lived up to its billing. There's a huge hit of fresh pine hops upfront along with some caramel malts. There's a bit of peach sweetness along with the malts and then a hard and bitter finish that tastes like grapefruit pith. The bitterness on the finish is big and in your face without being too overwhelming. The malts hold it down just enough. This is without a doubt one of the better beers I've ever tried and I'm hoping that it finds its way out here in the very, very near future.

Final Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment