Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Private Weissbierbrauerie G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH - Schneider Aventinus



I figured it had been a little too long since I added a Top 100 Beer to the blog, so here's one you may or may have not heard of (I hadn't)- Schneider Aventinus. This beer is labeled a "Weizenbock," or wheat dunkleweizen and is brewed in the town of Kelheim in southeastern Germany. Typically, according to beeradvocate, weizenbocks are higher-alcohol dunkelweizens. I'll admit, I don't have a lot of experience with dunkelweizens. The last one I tried was the Trader Joes Dunkelweizen and let's just say I was not a fan. However, I decided to give the category another go, if for no other reason than the beeradvocate community seemed to love it. Currently, it's sitting at #87 on the Top 100 list.

Schneider Aventinus pours a deer chestnut color with some reddish hints and an absolutely incredible tan head that's as creamy as they come. The smells are typical of German wheat beer with notes of banana and clove. This one definitely had a bit more to it than most wheat beers, with some yeast and cinnamon creeping up in the background of the smell.

Taste-wise, this one really lived up to the hype. It's smooth and complex, with a creamy mouthfeel and a pleasant amount of alcohol that leaves you with a warm sensation. I got a lot of banana bread flavors upfront along with some clove and a slight bot of spice that I'm guessing came from the yeast. Overall, I would say that this beer is well deserving of it's reputation and is an absolute bargain at prices as low as $3.99 for a 500ml bottle. If you can find this, pick it up. You will not be disappointed.

Final Grade: A

Top 100 Beers Tasted: 22

No comments:

Post a Comment