Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Midnight Sun Brewing Company - TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter)


About a year ago, I heard about Midnight Sun's TREAT. All I needed to hear were the words "chocolate" and "pumpkin" together and I knew I had to try this beer. After trying to obtain it for a while down in San Diego, I learned that Midnight Sun doesn't really distribute to California. Disappointed, I started looking into other ways to get the beer and finally found it online. It had been sitting in the house for almost a year until this past weekend.

TREAT pours a midnight black color with a half-finger tan head. The smell was incredible. I've had my fair share of pumpkin beers, but I've never come across one with a smell this intense. It smelled like someone baked a pumpkin pie inside the bottle. Huge aromas of canned pumpkin, nutmeg and chocolate rose from the glass. This beer was definitely a keeper.

Sometimes a beer will come along and really intrigue me with the smell, but when I take a sip, I'm totally let down. Luckily, this was not one of those beers. I picked up rich flavors of pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon and clove along with a big chocolate flavor. I definitely wish I had picked up more than one bottle of this one.

Final Grade: A+

Top 100 Beers Tasted: 26

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this sounds...interesting.
    Thanks a lot. Now I'm on The Hunt.

    ReplyDelete