Friday, June 15, 2012

Brasserie Cantillon - Classic Gueuze


I don't know that there's a brewery out with quite the reputations that Cantillon has. If you're thing is big stouts or double IPAs, you're looking in the wrong place. Cantillon makes lambics, and maybe the best lambics in the world at that. There's only one problem with Cantillon's beers- They're nearly impossible to find. I've only seen Cantillon beers on two occasions. The last time was about a month ago, when I was able to pick up a bottle of their Classic Gueuze from Texas Liquor. I was waiting for the right occasion to try it and the end of finals (plus the start of the US Open) seemed to be as good a time as any.


Cantillon Classic Gueuze pours a beautiful clear apple juice color with a one finger white head. I noticed a lot of bubbles of carbonation rising from the glass, almost like a sparkling wine. The smell has a ton of that cheesy, barnyard funk that gueuzes tend to have, but this one seems a touch more restrained. Along with the funk, I got a lot of lemon and wood with some faint notes of pear and green apple.


The taste opens with a bit punch of sourness that has an edge of funk to it. That sourness is soon met by some lemon, a faint touch of spice, sour plum and a bit of green apple. The funk carries through the taste and lingers on your tongue forever. The carbonation is tingly and light and works fantastically with the sourness. I really, really love this beer. Now I just have to figure out how to get some more. If you can find anything from Cantillon, I highly recommend getting it. Just be sure to let me know where it is!


Final Grade: A+


Top 100 Beers Tasted: 38

No comments:

Post a Comment