Thursday, August 9, 2012

Anheuser-Busch Inc. - Bud Light Lime-A-Rita

When I first saw a commercial for the new Bud Light Lime-A-Rita, I immediately thought two things:

1- Why is this being introduced at the end of summer? Wouldn't it have made a little more sense for this to come out right around Cinco de Mayo?

2-  Could this finally be the beer that tops Wild Blue as the worst beer I've ever tasted?

From the way the commercial looked, Lime-A-Rita definitely had a shot at Wild Blue. Frankly, the commercial scared the crap out of me. But I couldn't let something this terrible looking pass me by, so I picked up the first can I found.

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita pours a murky margarita mix color with a tiny head that fizzles out and disappears like soda. The smell is all margarita mix with lots of artificial lime, salt and even tequila thrown in. I tried for a while but couldn't pick up any hint of beer.


If you've ever had one of those Jose Cuervo pre-mixed margaritas you can buy in the grocery store, then you pretty much have no reason to try Bud Light Lime-A-Rita. They're pretty much identical. The taste is all fake lime, salt and tequila with a syrupy sweetness that wears on the palate the more you drink. If there is in fact beer anywhere in this beverage, it might be hiding in a syrupy finish that briefly shows a touch of malt before regressing to the aforementioned artificial lime flavor. If you're looking for a margarita in a can, this may be the direction you want to go. However, if you're looking for something that tastes, even remotely, like beer, look elsewhere. This wasn't worse than Wild Blue, but it's not exactly something I'll be rushing out to try again.

Final Grade: D-

Top 100 Beers Tasted: 39


No comments:

Post a Comment