Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Epic Brewing Co. - Big Bad Baptist


While the beer laws in Utah may suck, it would be tough to say the same for the beer coming out of the state. Or the names of some of the beer coming out of the state, for that matter. One of these beers is Epic Brewing Company's Big Bad Baptist. I'd been looking for this beer for a while and found some on a recent trip to Total Wine up in LA.

Big Bad Baptist is a stout brewed with cocoa nibs and whole coffee beans and aged in whiskey barrels. Clocking in at nearly 12%, this beer is pretty much the opposite of what I think of when I think of Utah beer. It's also the only beer from Utah that's currently in the Top 250. So let the hunt for the Top 250 begin! At #233- Big Bad Baptist.

Big Bad Baptist pours a rich black color with a dense looking and thick mocha-colored head. The aroma is full of rich dark coffee. Even after smelling this beer from a few feet away, I could tell that this was no ordinary coffee. According to beeradvocate, the beans used are Ibis Sumatra Dark Coffee beans. I can't say I've ever tasted Ibis Sumatra Dark Coffee before, but I think that's going to have to change soon. It smells amazing! Along with possibly the best coffee I've ever smelled, I picked up notes of espresso, dark chocolate covered coffee beans, some faint vanilla and some char.

Luckily for me, the coffee flavors absolutely dominate the flavor of this beer. If you're not a fan of dark coffee, this may not be the beer for you. Luckily, I like me some dark coffee. Roasted malt and dark chocolate open the flavor and are quickly overtaken by a huge wave of dark roasted coffee. The incredible coffee flavor seems to last forever before giving way to a finish with a hint of whiskey, some charred wood, and burnt coffee grounds. The mouthfeel is nice and full without being too thick and syrupy. If you're a coffee lover, this beer is an absolute must. Glad I finally got some of this one.

Final Grade: A

Top 250 Beers Tasted: 112

No comments:

Post a Comment