Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Alesmith Brewing Company - Alesmith My Bloody Valentine


Yes, my friends, we've reached that magical time of the year- Valentine's Day. In general (though there are definitely exceptions), I wouldn't say it's much of a beer drinking holiday. However, if you are so inclined to drink beer tomorrow, I think I have just the beer you need- Alesmith's My Bloody Valentine. Alesmith has been brewing My Bloody Valentine for a few years now, but this is the first year they've bottled it. Let's give it a try.

My Bloody Valentine pours a deep ruby color with a half-inch sandy colored head. The head appears pretty dense and it leaves thick tracks of lace down the glass. The smell had a great mix of floral and citrus hops along with a really nice caramel malt presence. I also picked up some grapefruit and just a hint of chocolate.

The taste opens with some earthy and floral hops. These are quickly replaced by a biscuity malt overtone. Toast and sticky citrus hops come next before a clean and hoppy finish that leaves a bit of an unsweetened chocolate bitterness as well. My Bloody Valentine is definitely one of the more aggressive reds out there. So if the mood strikes you this Valentine's Day, don't hesitate to crack one of these bad boys open.

Final Grade: A-

Top 250 Beers Tasted: 109

No comments:

Post a Comment