Sunday, June 23, 2013

Jack's Abby Brewing - Barrel Aged Framinghammer Baltic Porter

When I went to Boston a few weeks ago, I had a mental list going of breweries I absolutely had to try. While the list was packed near the top, the brewery I most wanted to try was Jack's Abby. I had heard a lot about them from people in the Boston area and absolutely none of it was negative. So before I left (and after trying their fantastic Hoponius Union) I made sure to grab a bottle of their Barrel Aged Framinghammer to bring back to San Diego. At #172- Barrel Aged Framinghammer.

Barrel Aged Framinghammer pours a rich, black color with a half finger khaki colored head. The head didn't look like much, but it left some pretty substantial soapy lace down the sides of the glass with each sip. The smell was a bit faint off the pour, but I could pick up a light bourbon note mingling with vanilla, cocoa and some charred wood. There was a faint espresso note in there as well.

The beer opens on a great sweet note with vanilla, brownies, bourbon and dark chocolate hitting the palate initially. The middle pulls the sweetness back a bit as notes of charred wood, burnt coffee grounds and a faint touch of booze hit next. The finish comes in with just a touch of astringency and brings some dark chocolate and just a touch of anise. As far as mouthfeels go, you're going to be hard pressed to find a beer with a better one than this. The beer has a lush, velvety texture that really complements all of the sweeter flavors in here. This is a fantastic beer and Jack's Abby has used the barrel here to near perfection. The bourbon is definitely an element here, but you would never call it the star. And to me, that's how a barrel aged beer should be. Now I just have to figure out how to get more of this.

Final Grade: A

Top 250 Beers Tasted: 127

No comments:

Post a Comment