Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Seizoen Bretta - Logsdon Farmhouse Ales







It's been a while since I reviewed a saison, so let's jump back into it with a doozy. Logsdon Farmhouse Ales was started by David Logsdon, who is perhaps better known as the former head brewer at Full Sail. They may be fairly new to the scene, but Logsdon Farmhouse Ales has garnished a ton of praise already, including winning a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival last year for one of their saisons, Seizoen Bretta. I had heard nothing but good things about this beer, so I decided it was time to track one down. At #243, Seizoen Bretta.


Seizoen Bretta and I didn't get off to the best start. As soon as the cap was opened just a crack, the beer started gushing out. Luckily I was able to save most of this one, which is good because it happens to be fantastic. Once it was in my glass, the beer shows a heavily hazed burnt apricot color with a huge foamy white head. The smell was a heavenly mix of musty brett, floral hops and bright tropical fruit notes. I got some lemon pepper, tangerine rind, banana, peach pie filling and honey. As far as saisons go, I'm not sure I've found one whose smell can top this one.

The beer opens on a light floral note, then moves to flavors of peach, apricot and some doughy malt. The brett shows up near the finish and dries out the flavors significantly, bringing with it some white grape and lemon. I've had saisons this high in alcohol before (Seizoen Bretta checks in at 8%) and had thought they were way too heavy, but this one works the ABV perfectly. The mouthfeel is light and balances the flavors to perfection. I was really blown away by this beer. If you're a fan of saisons, get on this. For me, it may be the best one I've ever had.

Final Grade: A+

Top 250 Beers Tasted: 128

No comments:

Post a Comment