Monday, May 25, 2009

Do You Have a Brother?

First of all, let me start by saying that I love my name. I think it's really cool to have an original name. I've only met one other Walker in my entire life. It's not that I have anything against more common names. I just like that there's something about me that sets me apart from most people right off the bat.
However, as you can imagine, especially with a certain TV show around which starred Chuck Norris, the name Walker carries certain connotations, and therefore makes people think that by saying my name, I've directly set them up to make a joke. The list of knocks I get on a nearly daily basis is endless and very repetitive.

"Like the Texas Ranger?"...You got it!
"
Oh, so do you have a brother named Runner?"...Hilarious!
"
Did your parents name you after Chuck Norris?"...*slaps forehead*

I can understand people saying something about my name. It's not a name most people hear every day, so I'll give them that. What I don't get is how every person who asks me if my parents named me after Chuck Norris expects me to start rolling on the floor in fits of laughter. Usually, I give them the courtesy "that really wasn't funny and I kind of hate you now, but not enough to make you look like an idiot in public" laugh. If I'm not in a giving mood, I'll tell them that no, my parents didn't name me after Chuck Norris or that I was conceived way before the writers for Walker Texas Ranger decided to use my name.
So here is the message I'm really trying to get across. People: think! If someone is named Whoopi, it's probably safe to assume they've heard a few Whoopi Goldberg jokes through the years. If I'm meeting you, I want to like you, I really do. So do us both a favor and leave Chuck Norris out of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment