Saturday, June 4, 2011

Allagash Brewing Company - Allagash Tripel

I got a bottle of Allagash Tripel about a year ago right after I graduated from UCSD. I was tempted to drink it right away, but decided to put it away for a bit just to see how it aged. After almost a year of seeing it every few days, I could wait no longer. So I broke it out last weekend when a few friends were over to see how it was doing. A big thanks to my friend, Renee, for this bottle!

Allagash Tripel (named after the style in which it is brewed which uses three times the "normal" amount of malts) pours a beautiful hazy and dark golden color with a huge fluffy white head that takes a long time to die down. The head wasn't quite as massive or lasting as that of a beer like a saison, but it was pretty impressive. I picked up some big, spicy yeast notes in the smell along with some pale malts. There was also a bit of a latex glove-like smell that, fortunately, went away pretty quickly.

The taste was big and spicy with some big notes of clove, nutmeg and a ton of other spices. I got a bit of cinnamon in the taste as well as a nicely balanced yeast flavor. This was a fantastic beer that I'm glad I waited to drink. Now, we'll see if I can wait on some of the other beers I'm sitting on right now.

Final Grade: A

Top 100 Beers Tasted: 20

(Damn! Another off the list as Two Hearted just dropped from the ranks.)

No comments:

Post a Comment