Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Bruery - Hottenroth Berliner Weisse


First of all, you may have noticed a lack of posts for the past few days. Sadly, this may continue for the next week or so as I'm in the middle of a move and things are going to be a mess while that takes its course. Move or not though, the beer tasting must go on and I will do my best to get a few posts up when I can. On to the next beer!

On Friday, my best friend and his girlfriend were in town, so I decided to open a bottle with them. Knowing that he's a big fan of wheat beers, I decided to go with one that just hit the shelves recently- The Bruery's Hottenroth. This beer is a Berliner Weissbier, which is a style you don't find too often in the states. I was able to try one while I was in Berlin a few years ago and was a huge fan. The style is typically light in body and has lot of tartness and sourness to it without being overly sour. In Berlin, some of these beers come in strange colors as many places like to add a flavored syrup to the beer.

Hottenroth pours an extremely pale yellowish-green color with a huge white head that balloons in the glass as soon as the beer is poured. The color of the beer reminded me a lot of the grapefruit soda that you can find at many grocery stores. Definitely a strange color for a beer. The smell is big and wheaty with just a tad of funk and some aromas of lemon and white pepper.

While the body of the beer may be light, this one doesn't lack much in the taste department. Lemon, tart green apple, vinegar and a touch of baby aspirin pop out right away with a pleasant tartness that restrains itself before getting too sour. At only 3.5%, this beer is an ideal summer beer and a great take on the Berliner Weissbier style.

Final Grade: A-

Top 100 Beers Tasted: 20

No comments:

Post a Comment