Monday, July 18, 2011

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephaner - Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier



It's been a little too long since I reviewed at Top 100 beer, so let's go ahead and put an end to that now. Clocking in at #39 on the Top 100 list, Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is, by far, the highest rated Hefeweizen on the Top 100 list. I've had a sort of strange relationship with the hefeweizen style. Not so long ago, hefs were my favorite style. Then, as I began to get more and more into beer, they began to drop in my book as more "exciting" styles gained my favor. Now I like them again and, while they're not my favorite style anymore, I'm always up for trying a new hef. The one that I really wanted to try was the Weihenstaphaner Hefeweissbier. I had been looking for this beer for a little while and finally found it at a local BevMo.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier pours a cloudy pale golden color with an absolute monster of a foamy white head. Eventually the head settled to a perfect 1/2 finger height. A huge clove aroma is immediately present along with some nice notes of spicy yeast and banana. I also smelled something in the background that reminded me of apple pie.

The taste is everything a hefeweizen should be and more. There's a wonderful malt flavor upfront followed by some clove and cinnamon. The finish brings some banana and baking spices along with the faintest touch of alcohol. For me, the balance is what sets this beer apart. Every flavor of this beer spends just enough time on your palette before it's replaced by the next. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with just the right amount of carbonation. This is definitely the best hefeweizen I've ever had and an absolute must try if you love wheat beers.

Final Grade: A

Top 100 Beers Tasted: 24

No comments:

Post a Comment