Monday, July 25, 2011

Three Floyds Brewing Co. - Dreadnaught IPA



I've come to accept the sad fact that there are some beers on the Top 100 list that I'm just never going to get to try. A few of the beers on the list are so rare that the chances of them ever making it to San Diego are slim to none. However, that's not going to stop me from trying to taste all 100. Today, I took another step in my mission, trying #35 on the list, Dreadnaught IPA. Three Floyds normally doesn't distribute to California, so to find one of their beers in the state, you have to get pretty lucky. I got just that when a coworker gave me the heads-up that there were some Three Floyds beers at a local bottleshop, including Dreadnaught. When I stopped in to check it out, I was relieved to find some still there.

Dreadnaught IPA pours a hazy honey color with a huge cream colored head and lacing down the glass that is downright ridiculous. It doesn't get much better than this beer looks-wise. The smell is full of mango and peach with some big citrus hops.

I was expecting some big things out of this beer based on its ratings and the taste definitely didn't disappoint. Some huge citrus hop notes hit hard upfront with some big flavors of juicy grapefruit and grapefruit pith. The malts follow with some big caramel and mango notes and they're just big enough to balance out the large amount of hops. The finish brings a nice hit of pine hops which leave a pleasant bitterness on the tongue. I haven't had a ton of Three Floyds' beers, but if Gumballhead and this one are any indication, I sincerely hope they decide to distribute to California in the very, very near future.

Final Grade: A

Top 100 Beers Tasted: 24

No comments:

Post a Comment