Friday, July 9, 2010

Rogue Brewery - Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Just when I thought I wasn't a fan of brown ales, Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar came along.

Going into last weekend, I had been hearing a lot about Rogue's beers, but I hadn't tried many of them. Actually, their Dead Guy Ale was the only one I had ever tried. I had been reading up on their beers a lot and the more I read, the more I wanted to try them. Rogue happens to have a brewhouse in downtown Portland, so there's a pretty good chance that will be on the itinerary when Hood to Coast comes around. Anyways, on Saturday, I was in a bar watching the Spain vs. Paraguay game when I looked on the menu and saw they had a Rogue beer on tap- Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Sold.

The beer is a deep brown color with ruby and orange tinges. The smell told me right away that I was going to like this beer. Hazelnut aromas and sweet malts jumped out at me and really made me want to dive into this one. The taste didn't disappoint. It was sweet and full of hazelnut with a gentle finish that had a bit of brown sugar in it. Nectar is a pretty good description. This is a really fantastic beer and makes me really want to try some more of Rogue's offerings. Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a bunch of them at BevMo. Hmmmm.... More on this in the near future.

Final Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment