Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Run 11

So, I don't know what's been going on with the weather in San Diego lately but I like it. Usually by this time of the year, we're in full on summer mode. Every day is super sunny and getting hotter and hotter, slowly leading up to the dismal heat of August. The reason that so many people think that Southern Californians do nothing but go to the beach is because in August, it's so brutally hot that the beach is the only escape. So unless you can get up before the sun does, running is pretty much out of the question unless you're really eager to get heatstroke. However, this year has been different.

Up until yesterday, every day so far this summer has seemed more like a California winter than anything else. Gloom, fog and cold greeted me every morning so far this July- something I can't ever remember seeing this far into the year here. So while everyone else here griped about how summer was taking forever to get here, I was using as much bad weather as I could to run in. I know that some people really like running in warmer weather, but I would much rather run in the cold. But now, it seems that things are going to have to change.

Today was the first day that started off without fog in the sky in the past month and a half or so. Soon, it became apparent that Summer had finally decided to show up. While I've been dreading this day for a few weeks now, it was inevitably going to happen at some point, so I decided to celebrate the real start of summer with a run.

One of the biggest enigmas going into Hood to Coast this year has to be the weather. We could be running in anything from hail and pouring rain to 90 degree heat, so I think it's probably better I'm ready for anything. Last year, we had no idea what it was going to be like until a few days before, and even then we still didn't know exactly what to expect. It ended up drizzling for a good deal of the race, which was fine with me because it wasn't enough to slow you down at all, just cool you off. This year, I'm hoping for the same, but I'm going to have to get some hot runs in just in case.

When I took off today, I had every intention of doing the 3.5 mile loop by my house. After about a quarter mile, I realized that it just wasn't going to happen. I felt like I hadn't run in about a year and a half. I don't know if it was the heat or my breakfast or a combination, but I wasn't feeling too good. Still, it felt kind of nice to actually sweat during a run again. I don't know how hot it actually was out there, but it probably wasn't more than 85 degrees. I know as the race approaches, it's going to get much much hotter, so I'm bracing myself. I'm going to try to up my mileage again by the end of the week so hopefully the heat doesn't go crazy on me out here. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment