Friday, July 30, 2010

Run 18

Yesterday, I decided that since my speed was picking up, it was time to focus on the area where I probably need the most work in my training- building up my mileage. So I went down to the PB boardwalk and decided to run for an hour and see how far I could get.

Since the weather still hasn't realized that it's summer yet, I didn't see the sun for the entire run, which was nice. For some reason, whenever I decide to run down there, the sun decides to come out right as I'm getting tired. It's crazy.

When I took off, I immediately felt like I was going too fast. Still, I was feeling good (maybe all the adrenaline left over from Tuesday's run) and so I decided to just keep it going as long as I could. As it turned out, the buzz lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.

About two minutes into the run, I saw my first roadkill victim in front of me- bingo! I took off and a few seconds later, I was on the board in the roadkill department. A few minutes later, I saw two more victims. By the time I reached the end of the boardwalk (5 minutes better than my previous best time! What is going on???) I had passed 12 people. Booyah.

On the way back, I didn't spot quite as many people but managed to catch a few. Then, I heard it. Footsteps behind me and they were getting closer. Bad news. Soon, I saw a younger shirtless dude slowly passing me on the left. As much as I didn't want it to happen, I didn't want to kill myself trying to beat this guy, so I let it happen and cried a little inside as my roadkill dropped from 18 to 17. A few minutes later, I saw him on the side of the path talking to a bunch of guys from his cross country team. Fair enough. If I'm gonna get passed by someone, I guess it might as well be someone like that.

I finished the first lap of the boardwalk and rested for a few minutes before heading out again. My time was only 38 minutes, so I still had a ways to go. I decided to head out for another 12 minutes and then head back. As it turned out, I made it another mile and half away and back meaning that I ended up running 8 miles- the farthest I've run so far. The best part about it was that it didn't feel half bad. I came out of it feeling tired, but a few minutes later, I was thinking about running again and planning out the next step in my training.

And I think that was when I realized it- I don't hate running anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment